7.10.2007

you f*#ked the suburbs out of me

i can not stand going south of old hickory boulevard.
i can not stand going north of trinity lane.
i can not stand going east of briley parkway.
i can not stand going west of briley parkway.
yeah.
think about that.

last week, the parentals made their annual pilgrimage through town. i picked them up from the trailer park east of briley parkway and drove them past my new digs. they loved east nash, but my mom began a lamentation about why her kids don't love the suburbs that lasted the entire way to mafiaoza's.

she can just not understand why we don't love wal*mart, strip malls, and stucco housing.

i can not understand why halfway through dinner she bowed up against my dad to prove that her childhood was shittier than his. i had to stop the madness and explain that if we were going to argue about whose childhood sucked the most, they may not want to have me as a contender.

no more pinot grigio for her.

anyway. i am leaving the suburbs (again).
moving to the 5 points area.
buying mid-century furniture.
quelling my anxiety.
riding my bike to work.
walking to the grocery store.

i just realized where this brown spot on my under-wrist has come from.
computer mouse callous.
no kidding, it's where my hand rests on the desk.
i am a tool.

a tool who just booked her flight to austin, tx.
austin city limits music fest.
sunday only
24 hours in Austin.
yo la tengo.
wilco.
nice.

the reasoning is that i sold my pitchfork ticket and canceled my chicago flight so that i could reasonably afford to move out of the suburbs. i thought i'd only be in b-wood for 6 months... but that slowly turned into 21 months.

so i thought, pitchfork or freedom?
freedom.

now i just have to find a place to stay in austin for one night...
should i risk a festival hook up??
i know.
i won't do it.
i like my body parts where they are.

No comments: