3.03.2008

wilco part 2

icanteventalkaboutit.

FYI- describing this concert is like describing love; impossible. Like you can never explain it to someone else. I am still to overwhelmed to make much articulate commentary about Wilco at the Ryman, but here goes...

I have had some good times in life.
I have seen some great shows.
I've seen Wilco before and loved it.
But Wilco at the Ryman was the best it may ever get.
And I'm okay with that.

Jeffy Tweedy wore a Manuel (or manuel inspired) white suit with cardinals and roses sequined upon it. He looked perfect- not like some ass who wants to dress up to be in Nashville; he was Nashville. His voice was spot on, completely clear in a way I hadn't noticed it could be. The Ryman is Tweedy's (and Wilco's) venue, most clearly shown when he came out for the first encore and sang acoustic.He can also carry a melody through a jam like nobody's business- which is a little hard to notice on records.

Nels Cline is a fucking guitarist. The man is the shit blend of jam rock, wa wa pedal fabulousness, and rock star. He's the perfect addition to the band and his style violates the ears in only the best ways. I love him with Wilco, in a way I hadn't (cause I'm not the biggest Sky Blue Sky Fan and I blamed that on him). No more blame.

And John Stirratt was rockin. I wore lipstick for him, but he didn't see it from the stage. I'll have to stalk later. Oh yeah- he's talented, too.

Anyway... until the first encore (and there were 2), most of the balcony sat in the pews. Not in the way that showed they weren't into it, but in the way that showed every person was LISTENING. The encore brought the house to their feet and the crowd became part of Wilco; like sang with them as a chorus. beautiful.

As well, they were filming the performance, so we really got the best of Wilco. I will own this footage at some point. Wilco played from every album and made a case for their excellence by proving that in their breadth of style, the depth lies in their consistent creativity and excellence.

My concert mate was new to Wilco and liked them enough before. He's been around the concert bush a few times and called it the best concert he has ever seen in his life. It was definitely the best concert the Ryman has ever seen.

Done.
For now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It was definitely the best concert the Ryman has ever seen."

Bold statement there!

No matter how good Wilco is, let's not forget the giant list of legends that have rocked the Ryman.

me said...

do you have boxing gloves? you may need them, you anonymous folk, you.

Unknown said...

I do not have boxing gloves. I don't have to be anonymous. And I am pretty sure I won't need them. Deep in your heart, you know I'm right.