2.01.2008

what a good boy

this first time i heard the term hair shirt, the barenaked ladies were crooning through the speakers of my 1989 diesel suburban. we were in a parking lot in west nashville near our favorite restaurant, stir fry cafe (AKA spicy noods). we worshipped spicy noods and the ensuing gastrointestinal discord.

anyway, a hair shirt was originally a garment or undergarment made of coarse cloth or animal hair (a hair shirt). the word has come to mean an object that can be worn to induce some degree of discomfort or pain.

last night, hair shirt became revised...

email to a friend:
my date last night had his $238 shirt unbuttoned to mid-chest. what am i going to do?

her response:
what? I got your text about the debate (I was at an event). Who is the guy and why can he not dress? Is it the hoodie guy?
Because a big fat I told you so may be coming your way.

email to a friend:
hoodie guy. super virago type. too designer jeans, a scarf, and a pearl buttoned patterned cowboyish shirt with embroidery. and 7 stark chest hairs peeking from the unbuttoned abyss.

her response:
I am speechless. Actually, I am in disbelief that 1) this species is still in existence and 2) wandered out of his habitat to 37206

men are my hair shirts.
i know before i put them on, it's gonna be itchy and uncomfortable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it and thank you for fixing my email typo :)

Anonymous said...

I love it and thank you for fixing my email typo :)

Brianinmpls said...

I am going to look in the mirror super hard before my date tonight to make sure I am in no way resembling this creature